Posting Instagram Stories from PC via any browser is possible thanks to a simple trick. Although the web version of the social network offers several features, it still doesn’t allow posts natively.
The device explained below is for photos only. If you want to post videos, just skip to the part How to post photos and videos stories from PC with extension.
1. Open the browser of your choice and go to the Instagram website. If you are not logged in to your account, login;
2. Right-click on an empty area (no image, text, or link). In the menu that opens, choose Inspect, Inspect element, or similar content;
You can also access the feature via the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + Shift (up arrow) + i, in Windows, and Cmd + Option + C, in macOS.
3. Note that a window will appear on the right side of the browser. These are developer tools. Despite so many elements, only one of them interests us. Click on the icon for a smartphone and tablet, located at the top of the window;
4. Immediately, the mobile version of the website will be displayed. You probably don’t see the option to add stories. To do this, refresh the page using the arrow icon next to the address bar or using the f5 key on your keyboard;
5. Now, click on a camera icon, in the upper right corner of Instagram, to create your stories;
6. Select the image you want to post by double-clicking on it;
7. The mobile web version does not offer as many story editing features as in the app. However, it is possible to carry out the following edits, according to the icons:
Down arrow: save the photo on PC;
Square with folded face: access stickers. If you choose one, you can move them around the image, but not change their size;
Brush: insert hand-drawn content;
Aa: This allows you to insert text into the image. 8 color options and only one fixed font are available.
8. Once all edits have been made, complete the post in Add to Your Story.
How to post photos and videos stories from PC with extension
As you might have noticed, the above trick allows you to post only photos in stories from your PC. However, the extension for Chrome INSIST allows you to publish videos via your computer as well.
2. Click Use in Chrome. In the box that opens then confirm the download in Add extension ;
3. When installation is complete, a warning will be displayed. Click on the icon that resembles a puzzle piece to view the Chrome plugins . If you want to pin it and keep its icon always visible, click on the pin icon next to the app;
4. Now, click on the INSIST icon;
5. You will be redirected to the service page. Click the Ok button, let’s go! ;
6. Next, the mobile version of the Instagram web page will open, with the extra features added by the extension. If you are not already logged in to your account, login;
7. Now, click on a camera icon, in the upper right corner of Instagram, to create your stories;
6. Select the photo or video you want to post by double-clicking on the file;
Attention: the maximum video time allowed is 15 seconds. If it’s bigger than that, you should go to an online video editor before selecting the movie;
7. If you are going to publish a video, you will not have editing options. If you want to publish a photo, you can insert text, make drawings by hand and insert stickers;
8. Complete the post in Add to your story.
How to share posts in stories on PC
Another feature that doesn’t exist in the web version of Instagram is the possibility to share a feed post in stories. However, INSSIST, the same extension we use to post videos in stories, also allows you to perform this action.
When you find the post you want to share, click on the three dots icon in the upper-right corner of the photo or video.
In the menu that opens, go to Share to and then click Share to Story. Then make any edits you feel are necessary and post them in Add to your story .