Creating a link on WhatsApp is a way to share your contact on the messenger without the other person having to add it. The URL can be posted on other platforms such as Instagram or your company’s Facebook page.
It is worth noting that the exposure of personal data on the internet is not recommended for security reasons. Therefore, send the generated address only to people you know or publish it only if you are a business contact.
How to create WhatsApp link manually
WhatsApp’s One-Click Chat feature allows you to create a URL that points to a messenger user’s contact. Thanks to the feature, you can chat with someone even if you haven’t added them to your contact list.
1. Copy the link https://wa.me/ ;
- If you are using a cell phone, just tap on the address for a few seconds. Then select the entire address and tap on the Copy option ;
2. Paste the address into a text editor or browser address bar of your choice. After the last slash ( / ), enter the phone number registered in your Whatsapp, with the country and city code. It is not necessary to use zeros before the DDD or non-numeric characters such as dashes, parentheses, plus (+), etc.;
The result should look something like: https://wa.me/9177550000 . In this example, 91 is the telephone code for India, 91 the area code for all states and the telephone number.
3. To check if the generated URL is correct, copy and paste it into the address bar of your favorite browser. If everything goes well, you will see a screen like the one shown below:
When you click Start Chat, a chat window with your WhatsApp will open.
If you are on your PC, the window will only open automatically if you have the WhatsApp program installed on your machine. In any case, it is possible to access it through WhatsApp Web using WhatsApp Web, indicated below.
Is it possible to shorten this link?
Okay, the link with the number might not be the shortest or easiest for someone to memorize. Link shortening sites can help. The bit.do , for example, you can cut the size to customize the generated URL.
1. Open the browser of your choice and visit the bit.do website ;
2. Paste the WhatsApp link in the Link to shorten the box ;
3. In Customize your short link ( Customize your short link, in free translation), customize the link with the ending you want for your URL. We suggest that you use something short, easy to remember, and preferably refer to yourself or your company;
4. Click the box next to I’m not a robot ;
5. Confirm that the desired address is available by clicking Shorten.
After a few seconds, your shortened and personalized address will be generated. Afterward, just share with whomever and wherever you want.
How to create a WhatsApp link with a link generator
There are several options of WhatsApp link generators available on the internet. These services generally create a URL with the number used in the messenger with some additional features. For example, you can enter a greeting message and even customize the link.
In the walkthrough below, we chose to use WhatsLink.
1. Open the browser of your choice, smartphone or PC, and access the WhatsLink website ;
2. Enter the requested data in the respective fields;
- Your Business Name: As this is a more business-oriented resource, the field asks for the name of the business. However, it’s okay to put your own name in;
- WhatsApp number: you must enter your city’s area code without the 0 on the left, followed by the phone number. Do not use spaces, dashes, parentheses or any other symbol besides numbers;
- Describe your business: if you like, you can include a brief description of your business;
- Message: include a generic message, such as a greeting, for people who access the link;
- https://whats.link/: Insert the ending you want for your link in the box. We suggest that you use something short, easy to remember and preferably refer to yourself or your company.
3. Click Generate Link.
Okay, your link will be created. To copy and paste wherever you want, click the Copy button. As explained, the service redirects to a website within WhatsLink, with all the information provided by you.
To start a conversation, the person who accessed the URL simply clicks Send Message. Then, she will be redirected to the WhatsApp page, where she should click Start conversation.
Direct link generators
If you prefer a link generator with fewer resources, but direct the user to the WhatsApp website, we’ve listed other options. They all allow you to insert a greeting message to anyone who accesses your URL, as shown below.
Link a WhatsApp Group
A WhatsApp group link is a URL that gives people access to a certain group on the messenger without an administrator having to authorize their entry. Anyone with that link can join.
Therefore, it is important to be aware of those who share, to avoid falling into the hands of unwanted people. In addition to the URL, the feature allows you to generate a QR code, ideal for printing and publicizing the group in non-virtual environments.
In the guide How to create WhatsApp group link and send it to anyone you want, you can see the step-by-step how to do the process. Note that only administrators can generate the URL.
Insert WhatsApp link on Instagram
You can insert the link to your contact or a WhatsApp group on your Instagram profile. We suggest you do this for commercial purposes only.
We emphasize that exposing personal data, such as a telephone number, can be risky if the information falls into the wrong hands. The process is very simple and can be checked in step by step Learn how to put the WhatsApp link on Instagram easily.